Free Yourself from Unwanted Body Hair
The Serenity Rejuvenation Center Team uses the most advanced and effective laser hair removal process in order for you to achieve the best results in laser hair removal Seattle and Bellevue have to offer. We are proud to offer the most cutting-edge technology at our Seattle area clinic. Laser hair removal is the clinically proven technology that targets and destroys cells responsible for hair growth, without harming the surrounding skin. It’s a simple approach to hair reduction that’s fast and easy with minimal discomfort. The Serenity Rejuvenation Center Team, is highly experienced and handles a high volume of clients from all over the Seattle area and throughout the state of Washington.
The Benefits of our Laser Hair Removal in Seattle
The reasons for wanting hair removal include:
- Presenting a more professional appearance.
- Gender transformation
- Cultural expectations
- Feelings of shame, embarrassment, or frustration regarding their facial or body hair
- The time-consuming efforts of temporary hair removal (including daily shaving) Hygiene
- Skin irritation with temporary hair removal methods
Whatever the reason, both men and women experience increased confidence when they feel good about their appearance, and being free of unwanted hair can be a life-changing experience.
Serenity Rejuvenation Center’s laser hair removal technology/protocols provide other potential benefits as well, such as treatment for the following:
- Folliculitis (infection and inflammation of hair follicles)
- Sensitive skin secondary to temporary hair removal methods
- Pseudofolliculitis barbae (razor bumps)
- Keratosis pilaris (dry, red patches or tiny bumps on the skin)
What are the variables that influence hair growth?
Every patient is unique. The reasons behind excessive unwanted hair varies, but can be due to any of the following, or a combination:
Genetics: There’s a wide range of normal hair distribution, thickness and color due to differences in heredity.
Hormones: The endocrine system can produce an imbalance of hormones that can influence hair growth.
Medications: Various medications can cause either hirsutism (the growth of excess hair) or hair loss.
Diseases: Several physical conditions or diseases can result in excessive hair growth on various face or body areas:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): This most common cause of hirsutism (unwanted male pattern hair growth on a woman’s face, chest and back. (Dr. O’Connell can also treat the underlying medical cause of PCOS) is the result of an imbalance of sex hormones. Other symptoms may include irregular periods, obesity, infertility and multiple cysts on the ovaries.
- Cushing’s syndrome: This occurs when the body is exposed to high levels of the hormone cortisol. It can develop due to the adrenal glands producing too much cortisol or from taking medications, such as prednisone, over a long period.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia: This inherited condition is characterized by the adrenal glands producing an overabundance of steroid hormones, such as cortisol and androgen.
- Tumors: Rarely, an androgen-secreting tumor in the ovaries or adrenal glands can cause hirsutism.
What Makes Serenity Rejuvenation Laser Hair Removal Different
Based on interviews and reports of our Seattle laser hair removal patients, we have learned the following about their experiences elsewhere:
No physician involved in the patient’s care:
In fact, many clinics have a phantom medical director who is never at the facility! This is not the case at Serenity Rejuvenation Center – Dr. O’Connell carefully oversees all procedures performed at his state-of-the-art clinic in Bellevue.
Many facilities advertise laser hair removal when, in reality, they are using intense pulsed light (IPL). This treatment is different than laser hair removal and is significantly less effective for this purpose.
Improper patient education:
When patients are not provided enough information and education about a procedure, we often find that their providers over-promised or set unrealistic expectations. We operate with honesty and integrity. Dr. O’Connell and the Serenity Rejuvenation staff conduct a thorough consultation before embarking on our Seattle laser hair removal treatments, and you will thoroughly understand the procedure and have realistic expectations of what can be achieved.
Undertrained/inexperienced personnel performing treatments:
Lasers can be dangerous and extremely damaging to a patient if not handled correctly. In the right hands, these tools are perfectly safe. It is vital that anyone who is considering laser hair removal in Bellevue find a practice where a board-certified physician is actively involved in patient care.
Laser hair removal being used on patients who were not good candidates:
Not everyone is a good candidate for hair removal. Unfortunately, inexperienced personnel or physicians who are in the game to just make a buck will accept any patients — even those who are not good candidates. At Serenity Rejuvenation Center in Bellevue, we believe that our job as experts is to care for the individual. If someone is not a good candidate for laser hair removal, we will tell them.
Our staff is always available for follow-up questions and visits from our patients. Our intention is to answer all questions, address concerns and resolve any issues.
Cooling methods/anesthetics not administered or offered:
We use cooling methods and/or topical anesthetics to minimize patient discomfort during and after the procedure. We take patient comfort very seriously and ensure that all patients are equipped with instructions on how to appropriately handle any remaining discomfort once they’ve left our office.
No medical expertise:
Unlike many practitioners who specialize in cosmetic procedures, Dr. O’Connell has a thorough understanding of the endocrine system and the context that hormonal imbalances may play in hirsutism. He is equipped to interpret lab testing and to make medication management decisions as an adjunct modality for patients who may benefit from them.
Dr. O’Connell and the Serenity Rejuvenation Team strive to make sure every patient’s experience is a positive one! We educate and inform patients with honest answers.
We are often asked questions about our laser hair removal in Bellevue, how it works, and what to expect. Read answers to the most common questions, and feel free to connect with us for a personal consultation about our groundbreaking laser hair removal treatments.
What is a laser?
The term laser is literally an acronym for “Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.” A laser delivers short, high-intensity pulses of light to specifically targeted areas, using one beam of monochromatic (having only one color and one wavelength) light.
What lasers are used for laser hair removal?
There are three wavelength categories used for laser hair removal. The wavelength selected in based on the skin tone of the patient, and at Serenity Rejuvenation Center, we employ all three. It is also worth noting that we have the most advanced, effective lasers on the market.
How does the laser work to remove hair forever?
The pigment—melanin, in the case of a hair follicle—absorbs the laser light, which converts to heat, as it passes through the skin. The heat damages or destroys the follicle, inhibiting the growth of hair. Because the laser affects the follicle, it is important that the patient not pull the hair shaft out of the skin in between or prior to treatments. Therefore, we instruct no waxing, tweezing, plucking, epilating, or depilatory creams in between the treatment sessions.
Many facilities that advertise laser hair removal are actually using IPL. What’s the difference between a laser and IPL?
We talked about the acronym for laser. IPL is an acronym for “Intense Pulsed Light.”
This is a huge source of confusion and in our estimation may be false advertising. Unfortunately, many practices are using an IPL device and advertising it as a laser. By strict definition, an IPL device is not a laser, as it is characterized by many wavelengths. An IPL is also synonymous with photofacial, or broad-band light. This is polychromatic, divergent light generated from a xenon flash lamp.
A good analogy is to think of a laser as a rifle and IPL as a shotgun.
What can impact the efficiency of laser hair removal treatments?
There are four categories of variables that impact the efficacy of hair removal treatments:
Genetics: People from certain parts of the world just have more hair, period.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) affects 10% of women. Despite its name, it is actually a problem of insulin resistance and can cause hirsutism, irregular menstrual cycles, and infertility, yet show zero cysts on the ovaries.
- Menopause causes the ovaries to slow down, yet production of testosterone, progesterone, and estrogen continues. Additionally, the adrenal glands continue to produce testosterone which has a higher visible presence as the ratios change. Because of their sensitivity to testosterone, the follicles create a flux of hair growth.
- High testosterone in a healthy male also produces more hair, for the same reason (sensitivity of the hair follicle to the hormone).
- Body Area: Certain body areas, such as the underarms, have more hair follicles than others. Typically, one can expect to need, ON AVERAGE- 6 - 9 treatments for a body area and 9 - 12 for facial hair. However, one should see reduction with each treatment. This may change if there are hormonal issues, as well.
- Hair Color: The laser does not work on gray, platinum blond, or fiery red hair, unfortunately.
How should I prepare for safe laser hair removal?
At Serenity Rejuvenation Center, we try and keep it simple. There are four safety categories:
- Medications: Certain medications can cause photosensitivity, or a reaction in the sunlight. We use the list of drugs reported to cause photosensitivity in the sunlight as a screening tool because, while we are not administering ultraviolet light, there is some crossover. Even one report of photosensitivity causes a drug to be added to the list, per FDA regulations. However, in young healthy people, we screen primarily for two specific classes of antibiotics—namely tetracyclines and fluoroquinolones. The course of treatment for drugs in with category should have been completed 10 days before the treatment.
- Skincare products: Oil-based skincare products should not be applied to the area to be treated one week before and a day or so after treatment to avoid burning of the skin.
- Tanning: Refrain from prolonged, intensive sun exposure for approximately 1 week before and after the treatment.
- Activities that cause overheating: This would include sitting in a hot tub or sauna or exercising on the day of treatment.
Is laser hair removal painful?
As a point of reference, patients unanimously report that laser hair removal is less painful than waxing. For those more sensitive to pain, we have topical numbing available.
What differentiates Serenity Rejuvenation Center from other facilities regarding laser hair removal?
Dr. O’Connell, a board-certified physician, conducts every consultation and has years of experience in operating lasers. Because safety is his number one priority, all of the laser technicians on our staff are certified in laser hair removal techniques, as well as trained by the doctor personally. They are also specifically trained on the devices that are used.
Also, Dr. O’Connell’s in-depth understanding of hormones, specifically in the context of hair growth, allows him to educate patients appropriately and to offer additional recommendations in treating some of the conditions that lead to excessive hair growth.
Copyright © 2018 Serenity Rejuvenation Center. All Rights Reserved.Studio III Marketing