Botox & Injectables Part 1 – 5 Common Myths About Botox
Botox is easily the most well-known injectable treatment amongst the general public. Because so many people have heard about Botox through the media and have no first-hand experience with it, there are a lot of commonly believed myths that exist around the treatment.
Below are 5 of the most common.
1. Botox will freeze your face
- This is perhaps the most common myth surrounding Botox and it is somewhat understandable. Botox is a muscle relaxant that’s used in order to get rid of any lines and wrinkles on the face by preventing the muscles in the treated areas from contracting. However the ‘frozen look’ that people sometimes associate with Botox can easily be avoided by making sure that treatments are spread out enough.
2. Botox is painful
- Everybody has different tolerance levels for pain so it’s not technically untrue that Botox can be painful for some patients. That being said, the pain would be considered very minimal by most people’s definition. The needles used to inject Botox are extremely small; not only this but the areas treated can very easily be treated with numbing gel prior to treatment to minimize any discomfort.
3. Botox is dangerous
- Injectable treatments such as Botox are extremely safe, especially when compared to more serious surgery, such as a facelift. The active ingredient in Botox is very well-tolerated in the body and at the worst, there might be some pain and swelling as a result of the treatment, although even this subsides very quickly in most cases.
4. Botox is addictive
- This one is simply untrue. There’s nothing about Botox itself that makes it addictive. The reason people sometimes think of Botox as being addictive is because they might know somebody who has regular treatments. However the reason for this is because the effects of Botox wear off after a few months and therefore further treatment is required to maintain the results.
5. Botox is only suitable for women
- This is another myth about Botox that is completely untrue. Botox can be used for both men and women to get rid of lines and wrinkles on the forehead, around the eyes and around the mouth. It is equally effective for both men and women; in fact Botox has become increasingly popular with men in recent years and is now one of the leading injectable treatments for men.